Croeso i’r Derbyn
The Foundation Phase is an approach to learning for 3-7 year olds. It places great emphasis on children learning through doing. Young children will be given the opportunity to gain first hand experiences through play and active learning rather than completing exercise books. Time will be given to develop speaking and listening skills and to become confident in their reading and writing abilities.
Mathematics will be more practical so that children can see how problems are solved and how important mathematics is in their everyday lives.
The curriculum will focus on experiential learning, active involvement and developing each child’s:
- Skills and understanding
- Personal, social, emotional, physical and intellectual well being so as to develop the whole child.
- Positive attitudes to learning so that they enjoy it and want to continue
- Self-esteem and self-confidence to experiment, investigate, learn new things and form new relationships.
- Creative, expressive and observational skills to encourage their development as individuals with different ways of responding to experiences.
- Activities in the outdoors where they have first-hand experience of solving real-life problems and learn about conservation and sustainability.